Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Connie

Pepsi, wedding rings, and one dollar bills are my Aunt Connie’s obsessions. Connie is mentally handicapped and has the mind of a six year old. She has been handicapped since she was a baby. Connie has thin curly hair like an eighty year old, except hers is brown. She has always been fun to be around.
On my fourteenth birthday my mom and I went to see Connie in her house. She lives with about four other mentally challenged ladies. They have a caretaker so don’t freak out. Well, we knocker on the door and nobody answered so we started to walk back to our house. Then a big white van came bouncing up the driveway and I could see Connie bobbing up and down enthusiastically in her seat. When she got out she came over to my mom and exclaimed, ”Julie! Julie!” She was so excited she had gone to Bucks and got a Pepsi, hurray!
Connie wanted to show us everything in her bedroom; pink night gowns, a new bed, and a dancing skeleton. Then she wouldn’t let us leave. It was like she had to show everything in the house or else we would be in mortal peril.
As I said before, Connie adores rings; red rings, white rings, and most of all Wedding rings. Every five minutes she would grab my mom’s hand and press it and inch from her eyeball as a jeweler would do when appraising a highly valued gem.
Another thing Connie loves is singing in the primary’s choir. Even though she sings out of tune, Connie sings with spirit. She just switches her voice up to full blast so the whole world can hear her song. Everyone loves it when Connie sings. I personally think it’s funny.
What Connie wants most of all is to marry Jeff. She knows this is not possible in this life, so she waits for the time when her brain will be restored and she can get married. My family and I all hope this for Connie because we love her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the essay that Kendall wrote in English last year
(8th grade). His teacher gave him an award at the end of the year for the most inspirational essay. She said it made her cry:). We just found a copy of it and thought you all might enjoy it.

Dan said...

Great writing. I remember reading it last year, but I didn't know he received an award for it. I love it. He is a wonderful writer especially with a topic that is close to the heart like this one. Way to go Kendall!

Mike said...

Awsome description of Connie! Made me cry too!