Sunday, February 26, 2006

Birthday Post is Finally Here!!!!

Three days late, the time is finally here, for Jonathan's BIRTHDAY!!!!! We had to wait because the main boy was skiing. Tradition states that on Jonathan's birthday he must always have a lemon cake. Sooooo, we decided to try the Martha's Meyer Lemon Anniversary Cake!!!!!! This posting tells of our adventure in the kitchen.
Saturday night, mom and I stayed up late making the lemon curd and the lemon syrup. Here I am stirring the curd for 8 whole minutes. We only had one major mess up, but we were able to reserect it. We messed up on the syrup and turned it into the curd.

Dad's contribution Then on Sunday morning my mom got up and made the rest. Jonathan got ordained to be a decon and our Grandma and Grandpa Hatch stayed for dinner. Here's us big boys in our Sunday attire. Little Christopher in his bear sweater. He's always trying to grab the camera on close up shots.We took too many pictures. After J.D's birthday dinner we assembled the cake. LOOK!!! Another big contributor as the human dish washer!!!
Doesn't look GOOOOOD? The leaf almost caught on fire
Finally it's finished!! I asked my mom if she was excited to eat the cake and she said no because she licked her fingers so many time that she is all lemon caked out. All eight of us (really seven) ate only about one third of it, and Nate ate the most.Hey, look my mom has three hands. . . One to light the candles, one to cut the cake, and one to hold Christopher.And at last, Jonny boy enjoying his piece of lemon cake.

Christopher wanted some too. . .

20 comments:

Jordan said...

I started on Sunday, but didn't finish until Thrusday because of picture problems. His birthday was on the 23rd.

Anonymous said...

Whoooooaaaa, talk about buttery frosting!!!!! After reading all of your comments, I still had to try it. I agree with you now. The cake was a lot of fun to make and definitely made the twelve-year-old birthday memorable!!!! Jonathan also got the best birthday present he could dream of. . . All trillions of the Calvin and Hobbes comics, which come in three humongo hard bound books, weighing 40lbs. He's in heaven.

Krista said...

You guys are awesome! It looks like it really turned out great! And I was really impressed...all those layers and the lemon topper...I couldn't get mine to work. Happy late birthday!!

Angela said...

That's an awesome cake. Way better than any of us did. Good job Hatch clan. I know it's a lot of cake. We ended up sharing ours with my parents, Cory's parents, Cory's aunt and uncle and cousin, and we still had left-overs. Good job!!!!!

Melanie said...

Oh my gosh! Your cake looks fantastic! I love all the layers. haha And your topper looked great! What an adventure! Are you in on the challenge? Want to make the other cakes? There's still time to catch up! I promise the others aren't as bad. haha Just think of the family bonding.

Anonymous said...

Ok, first I have to say, doesn't Jordan have the perfect Martha pose in the first picture? Now, we need to know exactly what does this challenge entail? Will we be under direct pressure to complete even the little finger cakes :) I think we can do it- what do you think boys? Tell us Melanie where do we go from here?

Anonymous said...

Brad said after reading the post: Whoa, I look like a loser bum!

Melanie said...

All you have to do is at least try to make the cake every month. It looks like that will be no problem for you guys! You are expert cake makers. All the cakes are on the Martha Stewart website if you do a search on "Year of Cakes". I just need your email address and I can authorize you to post your cake every month on the marthacakeclub blog. It will be so much fun!

Dan said...

Wow! That is FANTASTIC. I really liked the human dishwasher............he is so cute and the cake LOOK :-) DECRUMPTIOUS.

Great pictures and KUDOS to the photographer.

Angela said...

I really like February's cake. It is sooooo sooo good. And it's pretty easy too!

Laura Lee said...

Your cake looks GREAT!!! I kept waiting for a post of your cake on the Martha Cake Club site not even thinking about your family site! It doesn't matter if it is January's cake, post it on the Martha site! It's not a competition--you just have to try to make the cake every month. Let me know if you need the cardomom pods for the March cake and I will mail them to you. I have TONS!

Angela said...

Hey Laura Lee, will you send me those Cardomom pods? We didn't even know what they were. We don't think we can get them here. Pocatello only has limited resources. Let me know!

Dan said...

what in the world are cardomom pods?

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Laura Lee, that is so nice of you! Maybe Melanie or Dan could send me your email and I'll tell you my address. I've never seen a cardamon pod. We buy cardamon to make Danish donuts but the spice itself is super expensive! I think we paid 13 dollars for a container- sounds crazy huh? My cake entry is ready but I'm having trouble figuring out the picture thing. Jordan should have time to help me tomorrow. We're also ready to make the February cake hopefully tomorrow.

Travis said...

Cardomon pods sound like something that you might hear in a Star Wars movie.

Dan said...

Julie,
I don't have her email address. You probably have it by now though cuz I'm thinking you have talked to Melanie, right?

Dan said...

Does anyone know the record # of comments on a post? I forgot, but I'm thinking Trav and Mel have the lead for some reason. This post may beat it.

Travis said...

I think the record would either be this one... or the Harry Potter one that Angie and Cory had a few months ago.

Dan said...

Oh yeah! You are right. I checked it out and the Harry Potter post last July on Cory and Angie's post had 43 comments------an all time still beatable post. This one is only 1/2 way there.

Trivia, Trivia, Trivia

Jordan said...

how come everyone stoped at half way?